Monday 8 March 2010

the body of this humilation

This is one of Paul's descriptions of the human body. It is a 'humbled' artefact that for the Christian will one day be transformed into the likeness of Christ's own resurrection body.

This is a 'humbling' time in that I have so much I want to do but know I don't have the energy to do it. My 'get up and go' has got up and gone! But this too is another opportunity to find God's grace in new ways. I have always been blessed with an energetic disposition and don't believe I was ever 'bored' in my whole life. But the rhythms have changed and just a minimum of effort now needs an hour's recuperation. Is God sufficient for this season? Is his grace sufficient or did he not take this possibility into account when he promised to make 'all grace abound'?

It is a humbling time too in that long 'taken for granted' bodily functions now have to be carefully nursed. I understand that most men find this period the most trying of all.

I recall Christ's words to Peter that when he was young he dressed himself and went where he wanted to go but that a time would come when others would dress him and take him where he did not want to go. It was a prediction of Peter's death but the gospel writer adds this simple comment "he said this to show Peter by what death he would glorify God. Can these 'little deaths' to pride and self-sufficiency glorify God too? Yes they may... by his grace.

1 comment:

  1. Ron,
    This was such a blessing and comfort to my heart! In your description of yourself, you described my husband Gary, perfectly! The sickness is different, but the weakness and disabling effects are very similiar. Someone came by my office today and said "I have had you on my heart today...can I pray for you?" He started praying and asking God to 'keep us' as he takes us through the 'the valley of the shadow of death".. he said, "we walk thru many valleys of the shadow of death in our lifetime... but we will not fear.. The Lord is with us"
    When you ended your blog with 'by His Grace' it was perfectly quoted. Thank you for your honesty and openness in sharing you thoughts and stuggles. We continue to pray and trust His grace for your situation. Tommie DeVaney

    ReplyDelete

RefTagger