Wednesday 17 February 2010

Countdown

Wed 17th Feb. Just back from the hospital pre-op appointment with my surgeon. We went over all the possibilities and risks again and the longer term implications; the surgery is now scheduled for Monday. There are two more hurdles before the surgery. On Saturday I am to be admitted to the hospital and they will rerun various blood and other tests. If those are satisfactory the admission will go ahead. The surgery will include a visual examination of the prostate and the surrounding organs and area. If the surgeon judges that all is good to proceed he will then do the op proper. As he puts in 'I maintain my right to bail out (decided against the op) until the last moment.' Currently we don't know if other treatments eg radio therapy, hormone therapy will be part of the package. He will know better when has seen things close up.

The expectation is that I could be up and moving about by the Tuesday evening and hopefully discharged from the hospital, temporarily, on the Wednesday or later. I will have to return later for removal of some temporary plumbing.

So, how am I 'feeling'?
Apprehensive but minded to get on and get it over with! Impatience and fear are both reactions to the loss of control. The human instinct to want to be 'in charge' is a temptation that returns at many stages of our pilgrimage. The temptation to 'change stones to bread' was such a temptation and my answer is the same. I choose to live my life by the words that come from God's mouth not those that come from mine. My confidence is in him rather in my ability to make choices which are more comfortable in my view.

Please pray for all the people I shall meet in the next few days. Surely the Lord has some purposes for them and for me. Paul could say that he was constantly led about in Christ's triumph procession, I pray that I may have the same testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RefTagger