Monday 8 February 2010

Helping to improve the statistics

I had a letter from the hospital confirming my surgery. According to the letter I am to go into hospital at 10am on 20th for surgery the following day. My surgery was scheduled for 22nd so I phoned to check. Yes, they confirmed that the surgery is on 22nd. They want me to go in on the Saturday as that will help the hospital to stay in the government's timeframes. Once you are admitted, they explained, you can go home again and then return on the Sunday for surgery the following day.

It reminded me of my old home town of Stoke on Trent and a famous local story. There were complaints that the local bus service was leaving passengers standing at the bus stops. The bus company issued an explanation in which they said that they couldn't keep to their schedules if they kept on stopping to pick up passengers!

It gives me a warm feeling to think that we humble users can make such a positive contribution to official statistics! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of a strategy used in fast food drive up windows in the US. The workers are graded on how hast they can get the customers order to them after they take their money. A clock starts going as soon as the cash register closes and then stops when the order is cleared. What do they do? They let you sit there with your arm out the window waiting to give them your money until the last moment! LOL! I heard of managers actually getting in their cars and circling the drive through as fast as they can to pad the numbers on other systems. Comical almost.

    ReplyDelete

RefTagger